View count: 8428

History

The Department of Statistics, formerly known as the Department of Accounting and Statistics, was one of the founding departments in NCCU in 1958. It was formally established in 1966, and is the first statistics department in Taiwan. In response to the needs of the statistical profession, the Master program was established in 1968, and the Ph.D. program in 1988. These two programs were pioneers in Taiwan, in that the department was the first to offer a complete program in Statistics in Taiwan.
The Department of Statistics offers courses that are both theory- and application-oriented, and it has been taking the responsibility to educate and train students in practicing statistics for the whole school. Currently, the department has 15 full-time faculty members, 2 joint appointment, 2 staff assistants, and 290 students including 229 undergraduates, 58 Master students, and 3 Ph.D. students.


The SCC was established in 1995 as the Statistical Consulting Laboratory, and was later expanded and changed to the Statistical Extension and Research Center in 1997. Its current name was adopted in 2007. The SCC serves as a bridge between statistical and non-statistical communities and it also provides a suitable environment and numerous opportunities for students to practice statistical methodology.
The SCC is located in the Commerce Building in NCCU. It has a consulting lab and a discussion room with 10 Computer Assisted Mobile Interview (CAMI) stations.